Canada having good educational infrastructures to enhance student performance is one of the most common reasons why people tend to flock to the country and try their possible best to obtain a scholarship in Canada.
The educational systems in Canada are so mind-blowing and vast in their different aspects and fields which have earned them a good reputation when relating to education. They currently have ranked top five countries with good educational systems in the world.
These scholarships in Canada which are provided for international students are offered by the Canadian government to assist their foreign students with their educational expenses. Those foreign students are enjoying the benefits the scholarships have to offer in full without complaints. Benefits like fully funded tuition fees and living costs. Some even provide financial assistance like educational loans and credit cards for aspiring students wishing to study abroad.
Scholarships in Canada for international students can ease the financial burden for applicants with the desire to pursue their studies abroad.
There are different scholarships in Canada for international students ranging from bachelor’s degree level up to doctorate depending on what you want.
Qualifying for a scholarship requires many factors but here are some of the basics:
• Academic Excellency: Before one can think of applying for a scholarship in Canada, the person is to ensure that they have a good academic background. Most scholarships at large are mostly merit-based thereby only offering them to only aspirants with sound educational backgrounds.
• Language: English and French are the major languages spoken in Canada. It is of full importance that you can speak at least one preferably two languages to be able to flow and cope well with the learning process in Canada.
• Extracurricular Participation: Some scholarships in Canada for international students also consider students’ active participation in volunteering and extracurricular activities such as social work and its likes. Also, your working experience in the field intended to be pursued by you is a big add-on and hence, becomes a major eligibility criterion.
Another thing to be considered when applying for these scholarships is for you to know the deadline for the scholarship and how to prepare very well for the registration online.
Now that has been settled let us know the steps to search for study abroad scholarships in Canada.
An aspirant can either choose to look for funding options offered by their home country to students that are planning to study abroad. In this option, you can contact the immigration, home affairs, or external affairs departments of your home country.
Another option on the table for you is to avail yourself of governmental, non-governmental, or institutional scholarships to study in Canada.
Different Scholarships for International Students
We are going to look at some top scholarships an international student can apply for.
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship: This is one of the best scholarships in Canada. The Ontario Trillium scholarship is offered to top international students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. at any of the universities in Ontario. This scholarship covers the student’s educational expenditures provided that the student has a grade point average of 80 percent per term for the past two years.
The application should include transcripts of records, letters of reference, academic intent, and any other important documents Students are expected to complete their studies to the satisfaction of the scholarship agents in order to continue receiving Ontario Trillium Scholarship benefits. The eligibility is a full-time doctorate in Ontario institutions and the amount of scholarship is CAD40,000 per year for four years.
2. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship: This scholarship aims to bring to themselves the best Ph.D. students from every part of the world. This scholarship is funded by the Canadian government, the Natural Science, the Institute of Health, and the Social Science and Humanities Research Council.
this scholarship is available for only 166 scholars each year who are nominated by their respective institutions. The requirements needed for you to stand a chance are academic excellence, leadership, and research potential. The eligibility for this scholarship is a doctorate and the amount is CAD 50,000 per year for three years.
Read Also: Top Scholarships For International Students
3. University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship: This is another scholarship to study in Canada. This scholarship is for masters and Ph.D. students at the University of Manitoba. The scholars must have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for this particular scholarship. The monetary value of this scholarship varies depending on the degree of assistance gotten with a maximum of five years of assistance, hence, a scholar can receive funding for a two-year master’s degree and can still be eligible for funding for a three-year Ph.D.
4. Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship: This is one of the best scholarships to study in Canada and is available for international students. It is a fully funded scholarship at the University of Toronto that provides aid to college students for books, incidental fees, lodging, and tuition fees too. This scholarship is open for only first-time Bachelor’s students who have been nominated by their respective school counselors and they must have strong and competitive academic credentials and exceptional leadership skills. The student can only apply for this scholarship after the nomination has been approved and the student has the above criteria.
The cost of studying in Canada is costly but acquiring a scholarship, makes it cheaper and easier for international students. A degree with a scholarship from Canada is advantageous for your portfolio. Every candidate aspiring to have a scholarship to Canada should also be very time conscious because of the great timing of importance. You are required to know when the scholarship is open for acceptance and also to follow due processes for whatever scholarship you are going for before you can be granted a scholarship to Canada.