Alongside a world-class qualification, studying in the UK will give you the opportunity to experience a new culture, network with students and professionals from all over the world, and gain skills to help further your career development; hence the need to get a scholarship funding in the UK. There are a number of scholarships available to UK students to help finance their education. Some scholarships are offered by the government, while others are offered by private organizations or schools.
The government offers a number of scholarships through its Department for Education. These scholarships are available to students who are studying at all levels, from primary school to university. The scholarships are awarded based on merit or financial need. Private organizations and schools also offer scholarships to students. These scholarships are typically offered to students who are studying a specific subject or who have demonstrated exceptional talent.
It is important to note that not all scholarships are available to every student. It is important to research the available scholarships before applying. If you are unable to find a scholarship that meets your needs, you may be eligible for financial aid from the government or private organizations. The best way to find out about UK scholarship opportunities is to contact your school or the government department responsible for awarding scholarships.
Scholarships and Financial Support
As earlier stated, landing a scholarship to study in the UK can come from different sources and the UK government happens to have 1/3 of the chances of getting UK funding.
Government-funded UK scholarships for international students
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries – Scholarships for international students from developing countries in the Commonwealth, for studies at master’s and Ph.D. levels. The full list of eligible countries is available here.
- British Chevening Scholarships – UK scholarships for international students funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and partner organizations. The scholarships provide full or part funding for full-time graduate programs in any subject.
- Marshall Scholarships – Postgraduate scholarships for US students showing academic merit, leadership potential, and ambassadorial potential to study in the UK. Excludes MBAs and certain courses.
Read Also: Top Scholarships For International Students
Non-governmental UK scholarships for international students
- Euraxess UK – Euraxess is an initiative of the European Commission, that provides support for researchers in Europe. The UK branch of the scheme is run by the British Council, offering various graduate research scholarships for international students from around the world.
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship – A $2,000 prize is available to a student currently enrolled in the UK or another study destination as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You will need to submit an essay to apply and the scholarship is open to all nationalities.
- The Royal Society Grants – Various grants and fellowships are available for talented researchers in the UK and beyond.
Many institutions also offer their own financial assistance, and you can check their websites for more information. Lots of universities offer fully-funded postgraduate studentships. You can find out more from your chosen university or from specialist websites.
Some universities also do well to offer scholarship funding in the UK to their students. Some scholarship schemes include;
- University of Birmingham International Scholarships – Various scholarships for international students to study at the University of Birmingham.
- Cardiff University Elite International Scholarships – Bachelor’s and master’s degrees UK scholarships for international students to study at Cardiff University in Wales.
- Queen’s University Belfast International Scholarships – A range of undergraduate and graduate scholarship options to study at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland.
- University College London (UCL) Scholarships – A search tool for finding financial awards for both current and prospective students of the university.
- University of Westminster Scholarships for International Students – UK scholarships for master’s students enrolled at the University of Westminster. Awards are offered based on academic merit and financial need. There are also scholarships available for international undergraduate students.
- Bristol University International Scholarships – UK scholarships for international students to study at Bristol University in any undergraduate or postgraduate program.